Monday, April 11, 2011

Dinner and Dessert

Man's dinner and a woman's dessert 

I have to admit that I cook about 95% of what my fiance and I eat.  I have no problem with that and enjoy the challenge of finding yummy, healthy food for us.  At times my fiance steps in and wants to cook.  At times means about once a month and it generally involves the grill, but when it happens he usually goes all out.  

So here is what he prepared for dinner tonight... 
So cute right?  He is the cutest... 
He called it a Italian Antipasto Night....  Tomatoes, meats, cheeses- delicious :) 

So we enjoyed our dinner outside by the fire.  

Afterwards I was totally inspired to make dessert.  Our local grocery store had a special on strawberries so I was thinking about a little strawberry shortcake thingy... here's what I did. 

Cleaned and decapitate (what is it called to cut off the tops?) the strawberries.  Slice them in half

Throw about 2 to 3 cups in a saucepan and turn it on medium to medium high heat 

I added some sugar free preserves- that was I don't have to worry about sweetening it myself... I would say I put in 1 to 2 tablespoons.  Also throw in about 1/4 cup of water.  
Heat it up and mash it to get it to a thick soup consistency.  
I found these at a local store.  They were only 80 calories each and proportioned already- perfect 
So we had two each, topped with regular chopped strawberries.  
Now I added the strawberry sauce.  

Now I know what you're thinking... ice cream!? You just added 400 calories!   Nope... that's fat free Cool Whip... cool and refreshing like ice cream, but a fraction of the calories!

So that was our dessert.  It was sweet and satisfying.  About 220 calories for the whole thing.  Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment