Saturday, October 8, 2011

Wall Sign

So I have been seeing a lot of signage on Pinterest and the blog world.  After making my new tv/wine holder stand, I knew I needed something above it.

You can't tell, but there is about a 3 foot by 4 foot blank space above my new TV/wine stand. 


Soooo knowing I needed a 2 by 3 foot art piece.  I looked for a while online to find something and nothing really spoke to me.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I found a couple of old pallets in the yard and didn't have anything to do with them...and the garbage man wouldn't even pick them up, so I thought  this would be good material for a sign.... 

After fighting with all the old nails and some breaking some boards, I added my turqouse paint and water and white washed them.  
After the boards were try I just took some black paint and wrote the quote out.  It took me a few attempts but the spacing worked out and my lettering looks pretty good for a free hand piece, if I do say so myself.

We decided on this quote and it turned out to be fated for us.  We first heard it randomly from our priest in a homily.   After looking it up we realized it was Winston Churchill that said it, which is someone my fiance loves.  Then we also saw the same quote the next day on a random sign at Tropical Smoothie... after that we knew it was meant to be.  

To hang it I glued and screwed a furring strip, and then added a hinge.  I strung some corse string through it, drilled 2 screws in the wall, and hang the string over the nails.  

If fills the space pretty well and I like that it looks weathered and not perfect.  



Here's a shot from across the kitchen.... yay for cheap, easy signs.... done and done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment